Welcome to the Cognitive Science and Applications Site!
In addressing critical problems in national security, Sandia National Laboratories’ Cognitive Science and Applications organization provides solutions that include both technology and human cognition aspects. We conduct projects which span from basic research & development to delivering operational systems. Our entire organization strives to be a cornerstone capability for Sandia to respond to emerging national threats. The result is collaboration with the potential to greatly enhance human effectiveness across a broad range of endeavors. Our long range goal is to have a multi-scale understanding of human decision making in high consequence scenarios. The Cognitive Science group develops a science-based foundation by engaging in the following key areas:
- Building on our inherent technical strengths in science and systems engineering
- Aligning research to our national security mission needs
- Partnering with others in the human and social sciences
- Fully embracing science-based, peer-reviewed principles
- Ensuring ethical principles are always followed
Visit the Vision and Approach page to learn more about the Cognitive Science group's five focus areas:
- Understanding Human Decision Making
- Improving Human Performance
- Human-Centric Data Collection and Analysis
- Advanced Software Development
- Surety-based Verification and Validation, Ethics, Legal, and Social Issues
"Cognitive Science and Applications for National Security"